Monday, April 02, 2007

Jamy Ian Swiss

Either you love him or you hate. That seems like the consensus of the magicians that I speak with. He is a person that gets strong reactions. He is not afraid to have an opinion. (That, by the way, is a very good thing.)Yet, even when I disagree, I respect his choices. They are generally backed by actual thought, unlike much of what I see written on message boards, magazines, and blogs. Not only that, but he is a pretty good and interesting writer.

Here is a link to an excellent essay of his on the search for street magic, appearing in Antinomy. Read it.

http://antinomymagic.com/swiss.htm

3 comments:

ChgoMagic said...

By the way, I have to thank my friend Andrew Wilson for bringing this essay to my attention.

-Bill

Anonymous said...

Dear Bill,

I love you, baby! Save the date: Sunday, September 30, 2007. After a six year engagement, ( yes, six fucking years!) Heidi & I are going from common law to whatever the IRS will call us. It's going to be a very casual affair on the beach in Charleston, followed by a classic Charleson oyster roast and barbeque, with lots to drink and a great dance band!! And guess who's performing the ceremony? None other than the ever-controversial Reverend Jamy Ian Swiss!!! His motto: No God, Prompt Service! Eugene's invited too. If you've never partied with either of those guys, look out. Tell Tim too!

Regarding Jamy's article about "street magic", I am in complete agreement. As I told Jamy, I give Blaine props for shaking things up, changing the way magic is perceived by the public, and turning a whole new generation on to doing magic. However, I believe there's an obvious reason why, a decade after the first tv show, there are still no tickets available for the smash off-broadway hit, "An Evening with David Blaine".

Shake off the winter my friend. You're one of my favorite magicians, right up there with Swiss. Just don't tell him I said that; he'd probably argue with me about why he should be lower on my list! Ha ha ha ha!

-Andrew Wilson

ChgoMagic said...

Andrew,
Always great to hear from you. Frankly, we..okay..I miss you greatly. I'll save the date and make sure we talk well before then to make arrangments.
Bill